Saturday, April 21, 2012

Supplements I Took During P90X Round 1

(Originally posted April 8, 2009)

Here's a little mini-review summary of the supplements I took with P90x. In the end, it's probably impossible to know how much these may or may not have affected my final results, so I'll primarily focus on things like taste, nutritional profile, etc.

FIRST HALF OF THE PROGRAM!!

CtyoSports' EVOPRO protein powder (As my before-bed protein): 
-This is a combo slow-release & fast-release protein (uses both whey and casein) found in MuscleMilk branded drinks, which is good for right when you go to bed to provide muscle-building protein that lasts through the night...unlike something like Whey which is faster absorbing and better during the day or before/after a workout. 
TASTE: (9/10)...mine was chocolate
MIXABILITY: (6/10)...lots of clumps when mixed with water
NUTRITIONAL PROFILE: (8/10)...not bad, but overall a fairly unnatural beverage. Has "hidden forms of MSG, as well as artificial sweetners, colors, etc.

2-Methyl C (A Nitric Oxide pre-workout supp in pill form):
ENERGY: (7/10)...not super noticeable
PUMP & VASCULARITY: (9/10)
OVERALL: (9/10) could definitely tell when I used it....my reps would go up noticeably from the time before beyond what they would have otherwise. Don't use for cardio though!! 

P90X Peak Recovery Formula (my recovery/post workout drink):
This helps in muscle repair, energy replenishment, etc. 
TASTE: (10/10) taste like an orange julius
MIXABILITY: (8/10) not bad, but still clumps a little bit
NUTRITIONAL PROFILE: (8/10) pretty good. Has a carb/protein ration of 4 to 1 as well as some other goodies. There are other, better drinks out there with even more goodies, but this is a solid choice. Especially taste wise!

P90X Peak Health Vitamins (my daily multi):
* Couldn't tell much difference while taking them?



2ND HALF OF THE PROGRAM:

Optimum Nutrition's Natural Gold Standard 100% Whey & Natural Gold Standard 100% Casein (for my pre-bedtime protein supp):
-Would combine these two in about a ratio of 3 to 1 (Casein to Whey)
TASTE: (7/10) chocolate; pretty good once you get used to it, but not near as good as the EVOPRO
MIXABILITY: (9/10) much better mixability than EVOPRO 
NUTRITIONAL PROFILE: (9.5/10) great, plus it's natural with no artificial crap in it

Universal Torrent (recovery/post-workout supp):
TASTE (5/10) don't really like it at all. smells very chemically and taste like some sort of melted chemical popsicle
MIXABILITY: (6/10)
NURTIONAL PROFILE: (9.5/10) awesome profile, one of the best out there. EXCEPT that it's got a whole lot of unnatural additives in it.

Controlled Labs' White Flood (pre-workout supp); still took the 2 Methyl C's from time to time:
-I did NOT like this the first few times I used it, but like it much better now at least for Cardio workouts.
TASTE: (7.5/10) mine is "electric lemonade". very strong bite to it.
MIXABILITY: (10/10)
ENERGY: (8/10) pretty good for cardio...will sweat a lot, but I liked it!
PUMP/VASCULARITY: (5/10) couldn't tell much of anything on this front
OVERALL: (7.5/10) haven't seen it provide much performance benefit for my resistance workouts, but I like it a lot for straight-up cardio stuff like Kenpo

Optimum Nutrition's Vassive CE (proprietary creatine supp):
TASTE: (9/10) "blue raspberry"; good, pretty sweet
MIXABILITY: (10/10)
OVERALL: (5/10) couldn't tell much difference perfomance wise after taking it a while


*About to start taking my 100% Whey with Optimum Nutrition's GlycoMaize for my new recovery drink after I finish up my Universal Torrent. Also, about to start swapping in Optimum Nutrition's CGT-10 for my creatine supp (as well as a good source of amino acids), and Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men as my daily multi.

No comments:

Post a Comment