Saturday, April 21, 2012

CHALEAN EXTREME Day 6: Burn Intervals

(Originally posted April 25, 2009)

This is the update for my workout last night. If any of you have read my update on P90x Intervals, you might not be too surprised to hear that I was a little bit anxious about doing the Burn Intervals workout for ChaLean Extreme. Intervals are no picnic! Just as a reminder about what these types of workouts actually are, they're all about moving your heart rate all over the place to different levels. While steady-state cardio (such as running) keeps your heart rate at about the same level the entire time, Intervals has you going at a slow pace followed by all-out sprints in intensity. Because this sort of working out is actually more efficient, you can get better results in about half the time or less of a regular cardio workout. And after you're finished your body will actually continue to burn fat while you're lounging on the couch later that day. But like I said, you have to earn that privilege, 'cause intervals ain't easy!

Anyway, the Burn Intervals workout is about 45 minutes...easily the longest of the ChaLean workouts I've done so far (they've all been just a tad over 30 min). For that reason alone, I felt like this was never going to end! Also, this intervals workouts was slightly different than what I've done in the past. Instead of doing a cardio move at low intensity, then medium, then high intensity, you instead do a minute or two of high intensity cardio followed a by a minute or two of low-weight resistance work for increasing muscular endurance. And I can't stress enough how necessary it is to use low weight on this part. You're lifting for a period of time, not for a goal number of reps. I only used 10 lbs but couldn't even finish some of the sequences.

Another thing to point out is that this workout gives you zero breaks. No joke. I actually had to pause a few times throughout, and this was definitely the most difficulty I've had in quite some time as far as finishing a workout goes. Some of that might have just been a motivational issue (after all, who's excited to work out on a friday night?)....but it was definitely a beast of a workout. Fairly fun though. I'll hopefully be able to look forward to doing this one again next week :) Hopefully!

Ok, that's it from me. Have a great weekend folks. Today is my rest day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment