Saturday, April 21, 2012

P90x Day 61 (delayed update): Total Body PLUS+

(Originally posted March 19, 2009)


Ok, I forgot that I never posted an update about this the other week, but I tried out another of the P90x Plus+ workouts. So far, of these new routines I've tried Kenpo Cardio Plus+ (which I now find vastly superior to the Kenpo X that comes with the regular P90x program) and Intervals Plus+ (which is a great workout for swapping out with Plyometrics on occassion)....and obviously, now I've done Total Body Plus+.

I also did this workout around the same time that I got my new White Flood pre-workout supplement, which as you may recall did not really agree with me the first few times I used it. I don't know whether it was the supplement messing with me or the workout itself, but I got my butt ROCKED by this thing! Of the Plus+ routines, this is the only resistance/weight-training one that I've done, so I wasn't sure what to expect at first. It's very different though from what you'll see in P90x. Everything is much more intense and quickly paced (which is probably partly due to the shorter length of the workout, at around 42-45 min), and so you end up getting a lot of cardio benefits in addition to the resistance work. Also, instead of performing a move for a set number of reps or until failure, you rather do it for a specific amount of time. Higher reps, more of a burn. I think at this point they sort of expect that you've put on enough additional muscle and that you can now instead focus on refining/toning yourself. This workout will definitely help get you cut! Lastly, all of the moves tend to be more synergistic in nature with you working multiple muscle groups at the same time....the problem with this though is that it may require a bit more coordination than you're used to supplying :)

Because of the rapid pacing and little rest between moves, I found myself fairly wiped before I was even halfway through. You will be pouring sweat before this one's over, even though I felt like I spent most of the time watching Tony Horton and his peeps do their thing while my jaw hung down to the floor! I haven't had an opportunity to do this one again since Day 61, but my general impression of it was not as favorable as the mainstay P90x workouts, but that may be due to the lack of familiarity with it. I'm hoping though that next time I'll have a better sense of the flow of things, and that maybe not taking the White Flood supp with it will help as well. We'll see!

*This is an extreme workout, and not quite as modifiable as the regular P90x routines. You need to be very cardiovascularly fit as well as have pretty good strength and endurance. This sucker is HARD.

Anyway, here's the routine:

Warm Up - 9:28 min (very active with push ups, squats, standing core and more)
O Crunch Push ups - :48
Pull Up Crunch - :35
Deadlift curl press - :57
Step kickback chair - 1:04
Sumo chair - 1:02 (very intense for quads, my heartrate was soaring)
Chuck-up X - 1:38 (push up variations)
Cling on Run - :36 (pull ups)
Lunge press w/bella twist (R) - :29
Lunge press w/bella twist (L) - :30
Balance curl (R) - :33
Balance curl (L) - :32
Running man - :31 (tricep move)
Water break - :30
Hindo Pike Push ups - 1:00
Lunge/Squat/lunge (R) - :34
Lunge/Squat/lunge (L) - :30
Mr Moon (R) - :34 (yoga half moon into reverse moon alternating)
Mr Moon (L) - :36
Kid Play - 1:00 (push up jumping back into tricep dip)
3 & 3 - 2:05 (3 Squats, 3 push ups, 3 pull ups, repeat)
Half Dervish - 1:02 (standing core twist with light hand weights)
Weighted Warrior Pose (R) - :29
Weighted Warrior Pose (L) - :31
1 & 1 - 2:00 (1 push up, 1 pull up, repeat)
Lara Lunge Crunch (R) - :44
Lara Lunge Crunch (L) - :30
Spiderman Jumps - 1:00 (push up, stand, plyo jump)
Plyo Push ups - 1:00
cooldown - 4:35

*here's a clip of the SpiderMan Jumps...soooo hard, especially 'cause it's right at the end of the workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1z5QniIT4&feature=PlayList&p=F61995F0F6E9AA45&index=11

No comments:

Post a Comment