Saturday, April 21, 2012

CHALEAN EXTREME Day 4: Burn It Off

(Originally posted April 23, 2009)


So yesterday was Day 4 in Chalene Extreme, which means it was technically the first cardio day I've had. I actually did P90x Intervals on Monday night instead of using the ascribed rest day, but now I'm thinking that was a bad idea. I'm feeling ever so slightly overtrained! But I could just be thinking that because I've been experiencing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for the first time in a good while. Like I said before, Chalean has already been pretty humbling!

Anyway, the workout yesterday was called Burn It Off, and essentially it's a pretty intense cardio routine but it's also one that's on the short side at only 28 min from beginning to end (about 10-15 min less than P90x Intervals and 30 min less than the average P90x workout). Even though it was short though, I definitely was taking advantage of all the breaks. This workout certainly isn't easy! And Katie wasn't able to be there for moral support this time. I mean, it's probably not on the level of P90x's Plyometrics or Intervals Plus (both of which are easily two of the hardest workouts in the whole P90x series), but I'd say it's easily more difficult than at least P90x Kenpo X, which is an hour long! It's short and sweet, a little bit Plyo or Interval-esque in terms of intensity and style, and I like it that way :)

The workout starts with about a 4 or 5 minute warm up. After the warm up, you do a series of 5 moves. These moves are high intensity, so you really want to get moving and get your heart rate up. In between each move you get a short breather, and then on to the next move. After the 5th move, you get a much deserved, one minute break. Grab some water, and come back for 6 more moves, with a short break in between, and then the cool down.

Today is Day 5, Burn Circuit 3....so back to lifting slow and heavy. I'm mentally preparing myself for obliterating my legs and back again. As far as the upper body is concerned, it looks like I'll be getting in a bit of shoulder work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment