Tuesday, April 10, 2012

P90X-2 (Base + Back): Day 20


Again, I'm running a little behind in my blog posts as today is actually Day 22 for me and the beginning of Week 4 of P90X-2!  In any case, Day 20 was actually another new workout in the form of Base + Back (apparently Tony Horton's "wheelhouse"), which is essentially P90X-2's version of "Legs & Back" for the original P90X.  (This was Easter Sunday, and we actually had to sneak this workout in between church and an Easter brunch.  Katie may or may not have showered afterwards).  However, rather than typical resistance training for the lower body, the "Base" portion of the workout is pure plyo.

As far as enjoyment goes, I actually prefer this workout quite a bit to the original "Legs & Back", but I'm not sure as to whether the program is going to yield quite as strong of results where the legs are concerned.   Sure, it might tone the legs well, but since you're spending quite a bit of effort with dumbbell resistance training on the upper body I suspect that the lower body may end up underdeveloped in comparison.

That said, Insanity is almost a pure plyo program from start to finish, and it got my legs last Fall about as strong as they've ever been (even more so than P90X).  So I'll reserve judgment for the time being!


Overview

  • Length (55 min)
  • Structure
    • 2 rounds of 10 exercises each.  The exercises alternate between plyo leg moves and pullups.  As I'm not the biggest fan of pullup, it wasn't too exciting to me that this workout calls for 10 sets of pullups, and some of them are pretty crazy.
  • Notable Moves
    • V-Pullups
      • These are hard!  VERY VERY hard!  By the time these actually showed up in the workout, I was already kinda toast.  Basically you start from the bottom of a normal pullup position.  Then, pull up, bringing your chin or chest up towards one of your hands, and then back down.  Repeat on the other side to complete your "V" shape.  WOW!  Definitely my new pullup nemesis.
    • Wide Leg Close Grip Chin Ups
      • These aren't particularly crazy, but they present a problem for me.  You're basically supposed to do a pullup, but with your core taut and legs extended wide below you like an "X" (this is supposed to help keep you from "kipping," or cheating/kicking your way through your pullups).  The problem is that my pullup bar isn't really that far off the floor, and so my feet actually touch the ground when I try to extend my legs.  Haven't figured out a good way to modify this yet.
    • Plyo Lunge Press
      • Basically, these are jumping lunges, but you do an explosive shoulder press with dumbbells mid-jump every time.  The added weight alone is enough to make these brutal, but having to concentrate on pressing them while jumping is tricky!
Summary
This is the last of the new standard Phase 2 workouts.  I received 2 bonus workouts as well in the P90X2 package I bought, and I plan to swap those in for some of the Phase 2 stuff in the weeks ahead, but I've essentially seen what this second portion of the program has to offer.  Fortunately, I still like it!  A lot!  

That said, I've seen some reviews recently about P90X2 that levy some criticisms against it that are worth noting. 
  1. P90X-2 is dangerous.  Rather than sticking to tried and true exercises like pullups, pushups, dumbbell curls, etc. (like P90X did), the new program favors often tricky balance moves that keep you from targeting specific muscles as effectively as well as potentially cause you to hurt yourself.  
    • Well, the issue about not targeting specific muscles as effectively as P90X, may be valid, but it's worth noting that P90X-2 is deliberately different with a focus on functional, athletic performance rather than simply looking good.  I think it will still easily deliver on the latter, but that's not where its focus is.  Also, as for the danger aspects, I think there's truth to that. But's that's part of the reason the program comes equipped with a fit test and why the first Phase is almost entirely centered around core work.  If you don't know how to, or can't, engage your core when doing these moves, you're going to go flying off a stability ball, etc., and smash your face or worse!  So, just be smart and modify as necessary.  As Tony would say, "It's about getting results, it's not about getting hurt!"
  2. P90X-2 is nothing but a cheap Beachbody cash-in due to the many pieces of extra equipment you need compared to P90X, which required little more than a pullup bar and a few dumbbells.
    • I can see why some folks might argue this, and I grant that this program gets decently expensive once you collect all the necessary equipment (e.g. medicine balls, stability ball, foam roller).  But, there's no requirement that you have to buy these things through Beachbody...or at all for that matter since you can always modify.  THAT SAID, I 100% can attest to the effectiveness that some of the newly introduced equipment brings to the table.  It's a different way of working out than P90X, and I think that's fine. In fact, I applaud Tony for actively seeking out new ways to engage our fitness needs.
Anyway, again, I wholly approve of the program so far.  Always have been a fan of Tony (although he is a huge dork), and P90X-2 is already starting to yield some decent aesthetic results.  Not bad for a program that has been way easier on my body (in terms of joints, etc.) than any other other at-home fitness regime I've done.  



No comments:

Post a Comment