Sunday, September 18, 2011

Insanity Day 22 (Cardio Abs) complete... this was tough!

So this weekend at Duke was marked by a little something that is commonly known as Campout.  Essentially it's a 36-hr party in a parking lot, where you are required to be present for periodic "check-ins" throughout in order to qualify for a lottery for Duke basketball season tickets.  That said, doing my workouts the past few days has been a challenge, and unfortunately not one that I accomplished successfully.  I briefly toyed with the idea of doing Insanity in the parking lot and getting some other folks to join with me.  Seeing everyone though in the morning looking half-dead told me it would be easier just to run home to do the workout and then come back to Campout later.


Yesterday was supposed to be BOTH Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs.  As of this point I hadn't actually done the latter (instead, Katie and I have swapped in less cardio-centric ab workouts on days that called for ab work); and since Campout had left me exhausted already I decided to just do Cardio Abs, which ended up being a welcome change of pace, still quite a challenge, and a great yet unique ab workout in about 15 minutes.


Warm-up
This wasn't TOO different from the warm-ups for previous Insanity workouts...just a bit shorter since it didn't involve repeated circuits, and perhaps a bit more ab-focused in terms of the exercises chosen.  The trick is to keep your core engaged throughout!


The following moves are each done for 30 secs


  • Run in place
  • High Knees
  • High Knees with Twist (cranks on the obliques)
  • Jump Rope 
  • Tuck Jumps (jump up high from a starting squat position and bring knees into your elbows at peak)
  • Wide Tuck Jumps (similar to above, but is done with a wide legged stance)
It may not look like much, but you'll probably be sweating pretty decently afterwards

Workout
Shaun T's cardio abs revolve quite a bit around what he calls the "C-Sit" position.  Basically you sit on your butt, legs slightly bent in front, with back/core leaned backward at a 45 degree or so angle.  Just holding that pose for a while can work the abs on it's own!
  • C-Sit Twists (arms in front of you, twisting side to side)
  • Twists with Knee (same as above, but bring in opposing knee to your forearm on each movement)
  • A-Frame Ab Twists (similar to the twists, but you put your arms extended above your head instead of in front of you)
  • A-Frame with Knee 
  • Hold C-Sit Pose
  • Single Leg Raises (in c-sit position, extend one straight leg off the floor a couple of inches; now lift it up and back down to the starting position for the duration... then switch legs)
  • Double Leg Raises (same as above, but do both legs at same time; THIS IS NOT EASY!)
  • High Plank Position 
  • High Plank w/alternating knees (while in plank, use your core to bring your knee up/around towards your shoulder)
  • High Plank w/fast knees (same as before, just faster)
  • Low Plank Position (go down onto your forearms)
  • Low Plank w/alternating knees
  • Pulse tucks (in plank position you're basically performing, dare I say, pelvic pulses to contract your abs; sounds silly, but it really starts to burn pretty darn quickly)
That's it!

Diet Update
My diet is actually going very well, and I'm extremely lucky to have such a supportive spouse.  Part of the reason I decided to to cut out certain things (dairy, gluten) was that I determined that these might be aggravating my skin a bit.  After being on this for a while, I can fairly confidently say that's true since there has been zero issue since.

RedbridgeGlutenFreeAlso, a note on Campout since I attended as a gluten-free lackey.  Obviously, my choice of brews was limited to the gluten-free variety (mostly sorghum based), and here are some very brief notes on those I tried:
    BardsTaleGlutenFree
  • Redbridge: fairly decent Bud-like beer, falling somewhere in taste between Bud Light & Bud.  At the very least it tastes most like normal beer compared to the others I tried, even if it's not all that good.  I give it a C+
  • Bard's Tale: has a somewhat "off" note to it, but definitely has more flavor than Redbridge.  I actually kind of liked it after a while.  B-/B
  • Green's: I had three different ones of this brand over the weekend. A dubble dark ale, a golden ale, and one other I can't quite remember.  The Golden Ale is way too sweet and medicinal for my tastes but the dark ale was actually not TOO far astray from a decent tasting craft Belgian.  I'd give them a C+/B- and B/B+ respectively
  • St. Peters: by far my favorite of the weekend.  Strong flavor and body without too much of that "off" flavor that seems to go along with most of the gluten-free brews.  I'd give it a solid A-
GreensGlutenFree
StPetersGlutenFree












No comments:

Post a Comment