Sunday, September 11, 2011

Almond Milk: a few reviews

Hi All,


So as most of you know I've been experimenting with a rather stringent diet regimen lately that includes the restriction of "no dairy."  Sadly dairy is one of my favorite things since I love cereal, but I have been tiptoeing into the waters of almond milk recently.


As a general note, almond milk holds WAY more promise for me than any other dairy substitute I've tried.  Store-bought coconut milk is too thin and has an almost medicinal taste, soy milk tastes indescribably "off" to me, and rice milk tastes almost burnt.  Almond milk, however, is by far the closest non-dairy substitute I've found for actual cow's milk (at least skim).


A few mini-reviews:


  • Trader Joe's Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk
    • Solid choice.  A little thinner than cow's milk, but very close to skim milk.  The only real differentiation is that it has a somewhat toasted flavor to it, although it's not really off-putting and certainly isn't noticeable in a bowl of cereal.  There's also traces of what I can only assume is some sort of almond sediment.  Make sure you shake this up.
  • Trader Joe's Vanilla Organic Almond Milk
    • Not terrible, but this stuff is pretty dang sweet (and it's quite an "odd" sweetness at that)!  Not my cup of tea at all.  
  • SILK Unsweetened Almond Milk
    • I had already tried SILK's chocolate almond milk before, so I had a good feeling about this.  Easily the closest approximation of true skim milk in the bunch (both in terms of consistency and taste): highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment