Wednesday, March 21, 2012

P90X2 (Day 2): Plyocide


So we're on to Day 2 and "plyo-land" or "Death by Jumping" as Tony would say!  After yesterday's X2 Core workout, I have to say that I was actually pretty excited about what today's Plyocide would bring.  Although Plyo X in the original P90X was an absolutely killer workout (perhaps the hardest in the program), it was never really my favorite.  As a matter of fact, although I did my first round of P90X with no modifications, I found myself swapping Plyo X in subsequent rounds with the likes of Core Synergistics or Pure Cardio.  There was simply too much lung-bursting, joint-pounding jumping in the original plyo routine.

This time around, Plyocide's plyo program--while still focusing very much on explosive movements--is a bit better rounded.  The moves are more synergistic in nature, bringing your core more into play.  Also, as with yesterday's X2 Core, there is much stronger focus on the warmup and cool-down than in P90X.  You really get the feeling that Tony was much more deliberate in how P90X2 was put together, with a likely goal of maximizing both the effort expended as well as the recovery time.  So, while I'm hesitant to say that this workout is quite as killer Plyo X was, I have little worry as to the results that it will bring and am confident in my preference for it over the original.


Overview

  • Equipment
    • med ball (still don't have one, but I simply used a 10lb dumbbell instead...worked just as well)
    • stability ball (primarily used in the warmup)
    • plyo box (definitely didn't have this!  had to use a step ladder we keep in our closet..be careful if you try something like that)
    • towel
    • foam roller (just for the warmup)
  • Time
    • 55 minutes overall
    • 14 min warmup (probably could have used a bit more time with the foam roller portion after yesterday...Katie and I paused for a bit of extra stretching)
    • 12 min cooldown
Notable Moves
  • Killer Katherine Lunge
    • This is rough.  It requires a medicine ball, but I simply used a 10lb dumbbell instead (not a perfect substitute, but certainly good enough).  Basically, you do plyo jump lunges where you go down into a lunge and then explode up switching legs and then repeat.  The catch is that rather than normal plyo lunges you're doing these with a 10lb weight in your hands, bringing it up over your head each time you jump.  It's hard to describe, but it will leave your legs and arms feeling like jelly.
  • Frog Burpee Hop
    • Ok, this is straight from an Insanity workout.  Basically do a wide-legged burpee and then jump up with a wide-legged knee tuck, bringing your elbows to your knees. 
  • Wide Leg Jump Press with Med Ball
    • Ouch!  It could just be because this is towards the end of the workout, but this almost killed me.  With a 10lb weight in hand, start in a squat position.  From there explode up off the ground into an x-jump with your feet/legs spread wide and your hands (holding the weight) extended above your head.  If you focus on making sure you jump with your legs wide, it will burn.  Believe me!

Summary
At the end of the day, was this as hard as I remember the workouts being in P90X?  I'd have to say no. But again, like with X2 Core, I really am enjoying the workouts much more, and I appreciate the added focus on core strength and stability, recovery, etc.   I'll be able to tell in a few weeks whether or not this new strategy of Tony's will still bring the results!

Alright, that's it for now.  Until tomorrow's Recovery & Mobility routine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment